Wednesday, February 5, 2014

2014 Snowpocalypse

Tuesday, January 28th began like any other winter day in Alabama. The news had central Alabama in a range of a possible light dusting but Cullman County (where I work) was in a different range with at least 1 inch of snow possible. This was not a surprise because Cullman typically gets hit hard with  weather. I headed to work that morning while Logan dropped the kiddos off at school. The weather was not producing any precipiation until I reached Good Hope. I called Logan to tell him that it was already beginning to snow in Cullman & I would leave work early if necessary. As the morning went on, the snow began falling heavier. It covered the hospital's parking lot. Around 10am, Logan called at the same time I received a text message from Stryker's teacher that the daycare was closing. I thought it was odd since I didn't expect anything in Birmingham. Since I was busy with patients, Logan basically begged me to leave as soon as possible because the weather had taken a turn for the worst causing difficult driving conditions all around Birmingham. Coco was able to leave work headed to pick up Stryker & Lake so I could get them from her house on my way home. The front office staff at work was now calling patients in order to close our clinic around lunch. Coco called about 15 min later telling me Logan had left work trying to make it to the daycare because she could not get home from Vestavia. Now, I started to panic but kept my composure due to treating patients. I took a few minutes to pray for my family (Logan on the road & unaable to get him on the phone, Coco driving but later found out she made it at least to our friend's house in Homewood, Stryker & Lake at school). I was able to finally leave around 12pm. I decided to take the interstate in hopes that I could make it to Gardendale. The interstate was only covered with a light dusting so I finally was able to speak with Logan on the phone. He said he would do everything possible to get to the school but may have to just stay there. I made it easily to the Hanceville exit which quickly changed when I slowed down to about 4 mph & cops all over the road. I had approached the snowy/icy conditions with the first long overpass of my drive home. Logan was able to give me a quick lesson on driving in 1st gear in order to avoid using the accelerator or break too much. Logan kept informing me every 30 min or so how much progress he had made. Coco kept me calm on the ride home because I was extremely worried about my kiddos. My country friend as well as other coworkers were in constant prayer for me to make it on the road. I also had my Christian music blaring to keep my thoughts focused (I usually listen to Christian music anyway but it was louder for this ride home). The rest of the way home did not allow me to go fast than 5 mph. I progressed at a snails pace until coming to a complete stop at Warrior's 282 exit. I was facing the worst driving conditions yet but knew I could go to Coco's house off that exit. Logan called to inform me he made it to the daycare & would be attempting to get home. I was relieved that our kiddos were with daddy but now worried how I would get somewhere. I decided to drive on the emergency lane which was packed snow (no ice on top) & exit. I noticed cars & 18 wheelers struggling/sliding backwards down the hill (southbound on 65). I started to panic & began having flashbacks of my car wreck with each passing vehicle losing control & on the side of the road. I was praying to get at least to Coco's house where I would stay for the night. After I was blocked by a cop (Warrior & Kimberly were baracaded due to unsafe roads), I knew my only options were to stay at a fast food place/gas station on that exit or try making it home. Logan called at that point saying he made it home but had to park about 1/2 mile from home. He walked home with kiddos & that he also had twin girls due to their parents coming to pick them up at our home later. This info confirmed my decision on getting home since Logan was there with 4 children under the age of 4! Did I mention 3 of them are girls?! I weaved in & out of lanes following tracks made up the hill by the 18 wheelers. Thank you Lord, I made it up the hill. The rest of the way home was very slow but stayed in the ruts made by the truckers. Except for 2 other trucks & 1 car, I was the only other car driving now with the 18 wheelers. Long story short, I parked my car at our subdivision & walked a little over a mile to our home wishing I had extra clothes to put on or at least gloves & ear muffs. Praise The Lord!!! He is truly the only reason I made it home without a wreck or getting stranded. What you do for your children! We ended up keeping the twins overnight until their mother came the next afternoon. Logan enjoyed playing in the snow with Stryker & the twins while Lake napped. I kept Lake inside because she already was fighting a cold. I kept the children on their school schedules so there was some type of consistency. Stryker slept in our room, the twins in Stryker's bed, & Lake in her crib. Going to work Thursday (Logan was off with Stryker & Lake at home) was not difficult once I was out of Gardendale. Coco was able to come home Thursday afternoon from Homewood. Is it time for spring/summer yet??!!

No comments:

Post a Comment