Discouragement is the number one tool that the enemy uses to push us away from freedom & walking completely with God. When you place your trust in the Lord, you have courage. But discouragement is the removal of courage (not walking by faith).
Let's go through the verses above:
- Mark 4:35 - There's always another side of discouragement. Jesus knows there's another side because He told the disciples to cross to the other side of the lake. He knew what He could offer the people on the other side. If we don't fight to get to the other side, then we're limiting God.
- Mark 4:37 - Storms of life can either make you or break you. You look around & the boat is filling with water which causes panic (just like the disciples) & feel as though you're drowning. God wants you to focus on the answer (God) instead of the water (life's circumstances). Often times, when we're in the midst of battling sin we forget about the cross. If you lie down in the middle of your fight, then the enemy has won (you need to fight for holiness). Battles are won in the prayer closet! Let Him fight for you! Look past your sin & fight for your potential.
- Mark 4:38 - We often cry out to God, "Do you care what I'm going through?" Storms can cause you to change your perspective/mindset in life. For example, my miscarriages. Having two miscarriages made all other petty things in life not so important. In this verse, Jesus was in the boat with His disciples just like He is always with you. He got in the boat even though He knew the storm that was coming.
- Mark 4:39 - Jesus is the one that calms the storm. Jesus wants to stop the storm that we're facing but sometimes His will has to be accomplished. God will stop the storm in His time! Remember, your storm is never too big for Jesus.
- Mark 4:40 - Through our faith in Christ, our storms can be calmed.
- Mark 4:41 - The disciples' faith grew only because they endured the storm. The storm also gave them a testimony to His greatness.
- Mark 5:1 - The disciples arrived on the other side!!! Jesus will always carry us to the other side. You're closer to the other side than you think; you've got to fight!
We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body. - 2 Corinthians 4:8-10
- God allows us to go through discouraging times for death of ourselves in order to complete us & become more like Him.