Tuesday, September 25, 2012

LakeLynn's NICU stay: part 1

I was officially discharged from the hospital late Friday afternoon but stayed in LakeLynn's NICU room throughout the rest of her stay. What a blessing to be able to stay with your child while he/she is in the NICU! We were preparing to go home Saturday when her bilirubin levels increased. After collaboration with the neonatologist, we decided it would be best to stay another night under the bilirubin bed in hopes of decreasing her levels. The level had increased from 8.4 to 12.5. Selfishly, I wanted to bring her home but knew this decision was best & if we had brought her home & the levels increased more then she would be re-admitted causing her to get another IV along with multiple other needle sticks. Logan convinced me to go home to get a shower & promised to have me back before her next feeding (she could only be out from under the lights for 30 min at feedings). I was upset most if the way home because I wanted to spend time with Stryker. He was asleep at home when we arrived & I felt it was best for him not to see me for just shirt time to prevent him being confused/upset. Logan was doing anything & everything to rush me back to the hospital. Logan stayed awhile & then returned home to stay with Stryker. The nurses were amazed at how well she stayed under the lights. That's my girl! Levels were drawn again the next morning around 4:30am. Logan arrived around 7am to find out that her levels had successfully decreased to 8!!! The lights worked. It was such a relief knowing that we made the right decision. The rest of the day was spend under the lights until around 2pm when we were getting prepared to leave. The ride home was quite different from when we drove home with Stryker. I sat in the 3rd row to keep an eye on little one & Logan said it was not nervous driving around with a little one since we had previous experience. The neonatologist did advise us to limit the amount of people LakeLynn was around & to wash hands often for at least the next month. Stryker was waiting on us outside with flowers in hand for me! He couldn't wait to give me a hug/kiss & then off to help with "baby ake"! He has been so protective of her & always wanting to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment