Monday, December 27, 2010

rushed to the ER


It was a typical late afternoon/night for our family until a busted eye came into the picture.

Logan & I were playing with Stryker in his room like every evening. We talked about my work as well as Logan's practice. Stryker was playing with his basketball goal when he decided to pull up on his wooden toy chest just as he's done many times before. It seemed as though it happened in slow motion. We saw him starting to fall, but unable to catch him before his head hit the toy chest. He's had falls before, especially since learning to cruise along furniture & stand independently. He didn't stop crying in my arms as daddy hit the toy chest saying, "bad furniture, don't hurt Stryker." This routine always makes the tears go away & the smile re-appear. But, this fall was different. He screamed louder & louder. I looked down to find blood gushing from his right eye. Oh my goodness. I lost it seeing my little boy bleeding. Logan rushed to grab a wet rag to clean the eye in order for us to see where the blood was coming from. My mind kept thinking about the blood originating from behind his eye due to a head injury. I know you're thinking I over-reacted but you have to remember what profession I am in. I always think about the worst possible scenarios. We could not clean Stryker's wound enough to tell the damage. As I continued holding Stryker, Logan called the doctor. They said to take him to urgent care. Unfortunately, urgent care was full & not taking patients. WHAT?! How can you not take patients, people?! This forced us to rush Stryker to Children's Hospital Emergency Room. I called Coco on our way while Logan called grandmomma. Logan & I ran Stryker into the waiting room. The bleeding had slowed by this point. Coco quickly arrived after we were triaged. The ER called us back to a room shortly thereafter.


The first doctor to visit was a male resident. He was very nice, but Stryker just stared at him during the examination. The resident requested for nurse to clean Stryker's eye in order for him to examine the wound better. Logan had to hold Stryker for the nurse because he did not want anyone touching his "battle wound". The resident returned along with the chief resident. This resident was female. I tell you that because I want you to keep in mind how Stryker acted the first time seeing the male resident. Stryker immediately began smiling & flirting with this doctor. Can you believe this? He's too young to be a "ladies man". She gave him her stethoscope to play with while she conducted a quick examination of his vision & facial/eye socket bone examine. Stryker kept smiling & babbling to her the entire examination. She loved Stryker! The examine came up negative along with the doctor stating the stitches were not necessary. We were instructed to keep the wound clean, use ice to decrease swelling, & use ointment.




Guess this was a first trip of many to the ER! Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment