Thursday, December 23, 2010

New job + stomach virus = unwanted Christmas present

Goodbye Trinity, Hello UAB. Tuesday (12-21-10) was my first day as a physical therapist at UAB Medical West (Bessemer, AL). This was a new start in my career. I will be treating patients in both the acute care & outpatient settings. A wonderful opportunity to maintain my skills in various avenues of physical therapy as well as learning managerial roles. As a general rule, I will be in outpatient Monday-Wednesday & acute care Thursday-Friday. Unfortunately, I started feeling under the weather before arriving that morning. Stomach cramps, weakness, shakes, & hot flashes filled my day. I crashed in the bed immediately after work. Logan woke me an hour later to find my symptoms worse. "Please don't let me have the flu" is all I could think of. Not only had I started a new job but Christmas was just a few days away. Logan & Stryker rushed me to an urgent care which informed us that I had a stomach virus. The doctor instructed me to drink as much fluids as possible because my heart rate was high. He told us to monitor my heart rate throughout the night. If it did not decrease overnight, then an ER visit would be necessary for IV fluids. No work for me the rest of the week. What horrible timing! Thankfully, I have a very understanding boss & co-workers. They were worried about me & just wanted me to get better. The stomach virus lasted Tuesday-Thursday. Thank you Lord for letting me feel better for Stryker's first Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment