Monday, July 26, 2010

It's a reality now :(

It's a reality now that Stryker will be wearing a cranial band helmet. This afternoon was extremely difficult for my family. I met Logan at Hanger around 4pm for Stryker's second head scan to determine whether our interventions have improved his head shape. As I sat anxiously in the waiting room for Logan, a mother came out carrying her young son. He was wearing a helmet that his mother had painted a fun design on it. My eyes began to water. I felt helpless. Logan showed up shortly after which allowed me to relax a little. We were called back for our appointment a few minutes later. Three head scans were performed to compare with the previous head scans. Unfortunately, his head scan came back with the same (& some slightly worse) results. Heartbreaking. No words to describe how you'll feel as a parent when someone tells you that something is wrong with your child. Immediately, I began to blame myself for Stryker's head shape. Thoughts of my body being small not allowing Stryker room to grow and Stryker being in a low position for 6wks before birth kept running through my mind. Logan & I took some time to hold Stryker allowing the news to soak in. We knew the helmet was the best option for Stryker. Logan & I chose a solid royal blue color for the helmet. Coco found a lady willing to paint a personal design on his helmet. Such a sweet gesture. We spent the night discussing Stryker & looking for designs. We decided to paint the helmet like a baseball helmet. On the front, it will have "S" overlapping "W" for Wallace State Baseball. The back of the helmet will have their mascot, a lion, painted in orange & white along with "Stryker" painted in white underneath the lion. He's going to be one tough looking ball player!!

2 comments:

  1. Awww, Court... I'm just finding your blog and had to catch up to see what was going on. I hate to hear that Stryker will have to endure this, but I'm so glad that it's something that's fixable. Five months has flown by with your handsome little man, so imagine how quickly the four months in the helmet will go by. God makes all things work out for our good. Praying for y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there, Courtney. And please don't blame yourself for things that are so out of your control. It will all work out; four months will fly by!

    ReplyDelete